In addition to the core organising team almost every event relies on the support of a large number of volunteers to carry out an extensive range of tasks. The volunteer roles depend on the discipline and scale of event but may include:
- manning the show office/secretariat
- building courses and setting up the field of play
- fence/obstacle judges for eventing and driving
- writers/scribes to work with dressage and Vaulting judges
- members of the stable management team
- working in the press office
- stewarding/directing spectators
- managing vehicle flows and car parking.
The total number of volunteers will vary hugely from perhaps as few as 20-30 for a very small newly established single discipline show to over 1000 for complex events with large numbers of spectators, media and mutiple fields of play.